Gluten free – Kosher – Vegan. Serves 8.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 7 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cups homemade or store bought chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk (I use plain So-licioius brand found in refrigerated section at Whole Foods)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice from 2 oranges
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Polenta Croutons (see recipe for Polenta Squares/Croutons under Appetizers)
Sauté the onion in coconut oil until translucent in a large, heavy bottomed stock pan. Add the sliced carrots and ginger. Sauté over low heat for 4-5 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir in 3 cups chicken stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Warm the coconut milk in microwave or saucepan. Add warm coconut milk, remaining 1 cup stock, orange juice and orange zest to the carrots. Stir to combine and simmer on low for 2 minutes.
Puree the soup in batches in a blender. Return pureed soup to stock pan over low heat. Stir in salt and pepper. Ladle soup into heated soup bowls. Top with Polenta Croutons.