This hearty gluten free version of potatoes au gratin is a sure hit with everyone. If you are dairy sensitive and can tolerate goat’s milk, you can substitute goat cheeses and goat’s milk in this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter or Earth Balance
- 2 tablespoons The Pure Pantry All Purpose Baking Mix
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups milk, plain rice milk, or goat’s milk
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese, or you can substitute ½ cup crumbled goat cheese and ¼ cup grated Manchego (goat) cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (or 1/3 cup grated Manchego cheese)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add baking mix and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk as it thickens to a paste. Stir in thyme, rosemary and garlic. Gradually add milk. Stir with a whisk over medium heat until slightly tick, about 3 minutes. Stir in Gorgonzola (or other cheeses) and continue cooking over low heat until cheese melts. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Grease a 13 x 9 pan with olive oil. Arrange one forth of the potatoes in the bottom of the pan. Pour about ¾ cup sauce over potatoes. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle top with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.