This is a hearty, delicious gluten free cornbread made with The Pure Pantry Buckwheat Flax Pancake and Baking Mix and fortified with additional flaxseed meal for extra fiber and omega-3s. For a lighter bread omit the extra flaxseed meal and substitute 1/2 cup of our baking mix. Try it with your favorite soup or salad or for a nutritious addition to any meal.
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 3/4 cup of The Pure Pantry Buckwheat Flax Pancake and Baking Mix
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (almond or rice milk may be substituted)
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, butter or coconut oil
- 1 large egg slightly beaten (or egg replacer)
Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease or butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine milk, oil and egg in a small bowl; mix well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 24 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean. Best when served warm.
This recipe may be doubled and baked as above in a 13X9 inch baking pan.
For muffins spoon batter into paper lined or greased muffin cups filled 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes.