- 2 1/4 cups The Pure Pantry Buckwheat Flax Baking Mix
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter or Earth Balance margarine
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2/3 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt (or soy or coconut yogurt)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten (or egg replacer)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine baking mix, brown sugar, cinnamon in large mixing bowl. Grate butter into bowl using large holes part of a grater. Blend butter with fork or your finger until it resembled course meal. Add dates, yogurt and egg whites, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Dough will be sticky.
Lightly dust a work surface with rice flour. Dust hands with rice flour and turn dough out onto work surface. Knead lightly and pat dough into an 8 inch circle shape and place on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Score top of circle with knife, creating 10 wedges but not cutting all the way through dough. Bake at 350 F for 25 miniutes or until scones are golden brown. Cool completely. Cut into 10 scones and serve.
Makes 10 scones.
- Calories: 186
- Protein: 5.4 g
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbs: 34.6
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Iron: 15 mg
- Sodium: 304 mg