I am so excited about the “Go Dairy Free” and “So Delicious” March Madness dairy-free recipe contest! If you’d like to find more dairy-free recipes or enter the contest yourself, here is the contest page from our friends at Go Dairy Free. Each recipe can only have 8 ingredients….kind of a challenge….but certainly do-able. I decided to submit two, really three, recipes….two sweet and one more on the savory side. Lemon Coconut Cake and Good Morning Muffins. The third is the icing on the cake, so to speak. I hope you enjoy them!
Gluten-free/Dairy-free Lemon Coconut Cake
1 cup vegan butter alternative
1/2 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
2 cups organic sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose gluten-free baking mix from The Pure Pantry (includes baking powder and xanthan gum so you don’t have to worry about it!)
1 1/2 cups So-delicious coconut milk
2 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
2 tablespoons lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut, lightly packed
Extra coconut for decorating top of cake
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease with coconut oil and lightly dust with gluten free flour (can use the same gluten-free all-purpose mix that is called for in the recipe) two 9” round cake pans or one 9″ x 12″ rectangular pan and set aside.
3. Combine the coconut oil and sugar in a bowl and beat with mixer until blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue to whip on high for two minutes. Add vanilla.
3. Using a grater with small holes, grate lemons to yield 2 tablespoons lemon zest. Add to wet ingredients.
4. Add half the baking mix to the coconut oil mixture and half the coconut milk, continue to mix. Add the remaining baking mix and remaining milk. Continue to mix for three more minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the mixer low setting, pour in the shredded coconut.
5. Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
While the cake is cooling, make the dairy-free cream cheese frosting, which is optional:
Heavenly Dairy-free Cream Cheese Frosting
2- 8 oz. packages of dairy-free cream cheese alternative
1 cup (two sticks) vegan butter alternative
3 tablespoons So-delicious coconut milk
1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1. Cream together the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl.
2. Add the confectioner’s sugar, coconut milk, vanilla and agave and continue to whip until the icing is totally smooth, about three minutes.
3. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour before icing your cake.
Yield: About 4 Cups Icing
Toasted Coconut for topping the cake, optional:
In the image above, I did not top the cake with toasted coconut because I wanted a nice white cake. If you’d like a nice toasty coconut look, you can lightly toast your coconut. To do so, preheat oven to 350°F and spread the coconut onto a cookie sheet and toast for 3-5 minutes, depending on how dark you want the coconut. After you have iced the cake, sprinkle the toasted coconut on top for a beautiful presentation.
Recipe created by Elizabeth Kaplan at From The Pure Pantry blog.